ABOUT PENANG FUTURE FOUNDATION
Beyond being a location of choice for investors and tourists as well as a habitat of choice for a livable and sustainable environment, Penang also recognizes the choice and duty to maximize human potential amongst Malaysians for a better future.
PENANG FUTURE FOUNDATION, made possible by donations from private sectors and individuals, is a scholarship program awarded by the Penang State Government to outstanding and deserving Malaysians to pursue their undergraduate studies in Malaysia. This is one of the State’s initiatives to stem the tide of brain drain and nurture Penang as a talent hub. While the scholarships are open to all eligible Malaysians regardless of race, religion and gender, preference will be given to outstanding and deserving youths from single, low to middle-income families. Upon successful completion of studies, the sponsored scholars are required to work in Penang in organizations of their choice, be it in the private or public sector.
PENANG FUTURE FOUNDATION aims to be the ladders of opportunity our Malaysian youths can climb on, or the escalators that propel young Malaysians towards a better future. To help us help young bright Malaysians, PENANG FUTURE FOUNDATION constantly welcomes contributions from private sectors and donors.
Penang Future Foundation comprises of an Accounts Committee headed by the Penang State Finance Officer in managing the fund as well as a Selection Committee chaired by the Right Honourable Chief Minister of Penang, YAB Tuan Chow Kon Yeow. Other members of the Selection Committee are –
- Y. Bhg. Dato’ Seri Nazir Ariff, a well-known corporate personality with notable involvements in society-related causes.
- Y. Bhg. Dato’ Daisy Ooi, former Group Managing Director of a Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange (now known as Bursa Malaysia) listed company and actively involved in CSR projects.
- Y. Bhg. Dato’ Loo Lee Lian, Chief Executive Officer of InvestPenang.
- Y. Bhg. Emeritus Professor Dato’ Dr. Lim Koon Ong, distinguished scholar and former Deputy Vice-Chancellor of a local public university.
- Dr. Lim Kim-Hwa, Fellow of Cambridge University and former Chief Executive Officer of Penang Institute.
- Y. Bhg. Dato’ Danny Goon, a corporate personality with active involvement in society and industry.
The Selection Committee is further supported by industry leaders and academia in granting the scholarship awards.